GPOPS-II - MATLAB Optimal Control Software
GPOPS-II is the next-generation of general purpose optimal control software. GPOPS-II is a completely new MATLAB optimal control software that implements a brand new hp-adaptive Legendre-Gauss-Radau quadrature integral pseudospectral method for solving general nonlinear optimal control problems. Using GPOPS-II, the optimal control problem is transcribed to a nonlinear programming problem (NLP). The NLP is then solved using either the NLP solver SNOPT or the NLP solver IPOPT. GPOPS-II has been written by Michael A. Patterson and Anil V. Rao and represents a major advancement in the numerical solution of optimal control problems. GPOPS-II is available at NO CHARGE FOR MEMBERS OF THE ACADEMIC COMMUNITY AND ANY U.S. GOVERNMENT ENTITY (that is, U.S. local, U.S. state, or U.S. federal government). All NON-ACADEMIC or NON-U.S. GOVERNMENT users are required to purchase a license of GPOPS-II. Licenses can be purchased by clicking here.
Features of GPOPS-II
The following are some the key features of GPOPS-II:
- Allows for an extremely general formulation of the optimal control problem.
- Allows for inclusion of integral constraints and highly general boundary conditions.
- Complete first and second sparse finite-differencing of optimal control problem to compute all derivatives required by the NLP solver.
- The latest advances in mesh refinement including hp-adaptive pseudospectral methods.
- Gaussian quadrature integration methods for rapid convergence.
- Highly accurate costate estimation.
- Inclusion of the NLP solver SNOPT (for Academic Users) and IPOPT (for Not-for-Profit and Commercial Users).
- No third-party products other than MATLAB are required.
More information about the methodology used in GPOPS-II can be found by reading the relevant articles in the open literature by clicking here.
Fees for Obtaining and Using GPOPS-II
The fees for using GPOPS-II are as follows:
- For students and all others employed at academic institutions: NO CHARGE
- U.S. Federal, State, or Local Government: NO CHARGE
- Users at not-for-profit institutions (including non-U.S. Government agencies) or commercial institutions: LICENSING FEES APPLY (click here to be taken to the payment page)
Image Courtesy of NASA.